Monday 28 May 2012

My Fears and Expectations of Studying Form 6 at Saint George's Institution

Finally, I decided to sit down and settle on sharing essays-after a couple of months! (Well, it was totally AGAINST my initiation of starting this blog. It should have been an essay blog but it somehow turned into a blog featuring freebies. Sigh!)

I wish to feature a Chinese essay, however business kept me from doing so. Homework, studies and all... So here it is, my first essay in Form 6. I am glad that I have not lose touch in writing! (Thanks to Blogging)

两个月后,我打算又滚回来分享作文啦!(越看越觉得与我原先开新部落的目的背道而驰。本来要开作文部落,结果变成素材部落。呵呵!)

本想分享华文作文,可是因为忙碌,而迟迟无法实现计划。功课。读书······这就是我上中六的第一篇作文。还好我对写作还存有热忱,不至于对它生疏。(都亏博客)

#Not good enough to write a novel though. :S
还未到写小说的水准。

#I apologize sincerely for my below-par English standard.
原谅我英文差强人意。

Photobucket

Part 1

"Ra-ta-ta-tat" the keyboard hummed in an inaudible tune. My fingers were dancing gracefully across the keyboard. There went my Identification card number.

My eyes were glued towards the blaring fourteen-inch computer screen, waiting for a reply. My heart was literally at my throat then. Matriculation? Form Six?

Mr Slow finally gave a reply which literally made the sky crashed onto me.

"Tahniah! Anda layak ke Tingkatan enam bawah, Aliran Sains."
(Congratulations! You are eligible to Lower Six in Science Stream!)

By then, my eyes, now red with all those micro blood vessels, yet still refusing to give up, scanned downwards the computer screen. My school!

Written in block letters were these: "SMK ST GEORGE, TAIPING".

I simply could not believe my eyes. It should not be me! It should not be me!

The reality: Yes, it was me, being selected into an all-boys' school to pursue Form Six.




Photobucket
PART 2

9 May 2012, the very day for me to be assigned with another identity: a Georgina.

I have had countless trips around taiping (since I am a born-and-bred Taipingnite) where I passed by the school (or should I say, an ancient castle?) all the time. Never in my mind did I ever imagine myself setting afoot at the lands of the almost century-old regalia. Studying in a CASTLE, indeed! By the way, I am not kidding. I mean business.

It simply meant, my train of life has just arrived at another station. I am not boarding a coal-operated, ancient train this time. The sudden transition of my life from being a carefree teenager hailing from an all-girls' school to a supposedly-mature eighteen-year-old lady flung into an alien environment filled with Princes and rambunctious boys was, indeed, no easy feat.

I am now travelling on ultra-high speed in a maglev train in my life!

Photobucket

Will I actually survive within the fences of Saint George's Institution, filled with BOYS from all walks of life, for ONE AND A HALF YEAR?

Will I be able to get along with guys well? I mean this in casual and formal occasions. No Romeo and Juliet or plots taken straight out of Twilight, okay?

Will I manage to strive in a Pure Science class and pass my STPM in flying colours? I mean, straight A's which was an honour to anyone taking the prestigious STPM which was dubbed as among the most difficult examinations worldwide?

Can I stop driving my teachers up the wall?

Most importantly, will I be able to emerge as the cream of the crop, and eventually be able to realize my ambition as a software programmer and web designer, without casting my dreams of publishing my anthology of short stories aside?

Not if I dilly-dally and read Facebook from nine to five.

Photobucket

PART 3

"What? Sharon, YOU are taking up Form Six? What a joke!"

"You might as well take up A-levels, go to college or just take up the offer from the Malaysian University of Technology to pursue a Diploma in Computer Science, right?"

Indeed, I was skeptical on the thought of taking up Form six at Saint George's Institution at first. Having to be clad in stuffy school uniforms as normal students do, with the stringent school rules to abide to, no brunette wannabe, and worst, being cooped up in a school dubbed as :the school for bad boys"! That was beyond imagination and was horrendous.

Another friend of mine has expressed her words, which were like spears stabbing onto my chest.

"Stupid, it's really stupid of you, With your colourful results of 9A+ 1A and 1A- in SPM, you are fit to study medicine. Why Form Six with the idiots?"

I convulsed with rage. I felt like punching my friend on the nose. Medicine? That was the last thing in my mind since I am extremely haemophobic. Straight-A students  going back to school for Form Six, so what's wrong with that?

No, Form Six is definitely not for idiots. In fact, it was far from easy. I must say, it can hardly be called as easy as it seems to be. Otherwise, the certificate for STPM would not be acknowledged worldwide and regarded as being precious.

Now, who IS the idiot?

#Okay, I must admit that I am far from being benevolent and noble. More precisely, I am not at all ladylike.


Photobucket

Part 4

A fortnight of orientation at Saint George's Institution was, to me, only a thin filter of light that allowed us newbies to peek into the lives of Form Six students. The elaborate and monotonous speeches might have turned me off and sounded more like lullabies to me. In fact, I pictured life as Form Six students as being bland at first, unlike college students whose lives are peppered with the liberty to pose as fashion models in the campus, the ability to live with their friends, state-of-the-art facilities in campus, and more.

However, looking back at those facts dished out by the teachers, it downed on me that I had carried the wrong perception on Form Six at the end of the day.

At a glance, Saint George's Institution may look like a castle which survived the aftermath of an apocalyptic battle, down trodden, walls chipping here and there, sheer lack of chairs (and I had to squat in the hall) and Audio Visual System which must be used for decades. However, beneath the apparent down-trodden, intimidating palace-like structure fully equipped with grills, I find the teachers somewhat friendly, often with smiles hanging on their faces, despite being soft-spoken. Aren't the Georgians sporting and cheerful? (Except for some bad hats of course. They were so rude that they shove the others around recklessly to get their own way.)


Photobucket
Part 5

Form Six. The end of holidays and honeymoon.

After getting briefed about the subjects (in my case, Pure Science and Physics) I realized that life as a Form Six student will be far from easy, and worse, even challenging us physically, mentally and spiritually!

From the complex procedures and skills to be learnt in MUET to the ever mind-twisting formulae in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics T, Form Six has it all. And oh, should I say the literary devices and long-winded text to be learnt  in Chinese Language, and the rush to finish a thousand-word essay along with two other comprehension questions within two hours, in the Third Semester? That is, if I somehow managed to strive past the rigours faced by Form Six students and being independent enough to study that language that has savoured 5000 years of glorious and golden history.

I do not have much to expect as a Form Six student in Saint George's Institution. What is more, we are not ordinary students; we are Pre-University students, right? I do not hope for sophisticated facilities or food from top-notch hotels or brand-new furniture or whatsoever. No way.

That does not mean that I do not envisage anything at all! Georgina, a sweet name indeed, but to me, Georginas should behave like Joan of Arc or Mulan instead of the lavish Princess Diana who lives in her comfort zone. I am foreseeing a life-enriching, fulfilling experience as a Form Six-oops, a Pre-University student, not just burying my  nose into thick, towering stacks of books. I love and enjoy taking part in extra-curricular activities all this while, so I expect voluntary works pouring in and competitions for me to join. To be frank, being able to lend a helping hand along with my comrades, either to green the environment or for the sake of the unprivileged, will be more satisfying to me than having a windfall of big bucks!

Challenges, anyone? Not the wrestling or kickboxing or the violent Muay Thai stuff, please. Instead, like a tiger who can never satiate its hunger on anything, I am longing to take part in competitions and group work. I do not relish being in the comfort zone all the while. To sit back and read while shutting oneself from the colours of the world outside, isn't that boring and meaningless?

Besides spicing up my youth, taking part in social activities, showing care to the needy and putting up fierce battles in contests will render me more mature, responsible and ready to give service beyond self. Being active also means expanding my social circle with the right people, and together we join forces and exchange ideas to better the community.


Yes, you can say that I am a daydreamer. Indeed I am, living with my head forever stuck in the clouds and putting things out of place. However, I do not daydream for nothing; I want to see a better world. Little change is better than none, but the greater the transformation of the society towards the positive, the better it is. 





Nevertheless, spice without the dish is merely a pleasure to the taste buds.

Academically, I look for enthralling teaching methods in class. (Teachers, please do not bash me up or blacklist me for this!) However tough and frightening the subjects may appear to be, they can be rendered interesting and less difficult if teachers are to engage us students with powerful vocals and interactive activities. Of course, Form Six students should just be mature and have a sense of urgency at ALL times, in order to pass the milestones in their lives gloriously and victoriously, not just in Form Six or Pre-University, but for the stages lined up ahead as well.

Photobucket

Part 6

Here I am, Sharon Ng Huey Yuek, blossoming from a geeky teenager to a sprightly young lady, ready to be flung into near future and stay steadfast towards my dreams. 

Here I am, Sharon Ng Huey Yuek, to leave my childish dreams behind, to put in utmost effort to correct every single flaw that hinders my way towards the stars. I am here to make a change, not just to myself, but hopefully, the world and far beyond.





I always believe that there are ups and downs in life. I must stay put as a Form Six student, to defy the challenges ahead and to prepare myself for the vast ocean of adulthood. I am to sail myself to the bank eventually, treasures included. Yes, life is a bed of roses-with thorns.

To those who sneer at me and view me as another being from Mars, please respect my decision after much thoughtful calculation and consideration that I have done!

0 Little Whisper(s):

Post a Comment