Wednesday 28 March 2012

读书,怎么办?Time To Study and I Feel Like... How? (Part 3)

Part Three for now! Actually, this is a topic so wide that I might have to break it down into at least TEN sequels! Woosh!

Part Three will be the ending of my little "prep talk" and I will move into the real stuff starting from Part Four. Here, the "real stuff" is about the studying tips, preparations right before the examination, and so on.

There was one friend, a year my junior, who has requested me to share my tips which includes some minor aspects: duration of sleep, tuition hours and blah blah blah. Okay, I will share everything about it HERE...


Part Three is about the most important component in studying-TIME MANAGEMENT.

Ready, Set, Go! (Pistol fired into the air.)

And when is there time to remember, to sift, to weigh, to estimate, to total? -Tillie Olsen 


Both young children and old people have a lot of time on their hands. That's probably why they get along so well. -Jonathan Carroll 


But time growing old teaches all things. -Aeschylus 


By the time we've made it, we've had it. -Malcolm Forbes 


Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life. -William Faulkner 


Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent. -Ambrose Bierce 


Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough. -George Bernard Shaw 


Finding some quiet time in your life, I think, is hugely important. -Mariel Hemingway 


For disappearing acts, it's hard to beat what happens to the eight hours supposedly left after eight of sleep and eight of work. -Doug Larson 


I must govern the clock, not be governed by it. -Golda Meir 


So, these quotes are clearly evident on the importance of time management. (You can Google for TONS of them! By the way, I designed the bullets myself. =) )

In Managing your time effectively and systematically, knowing your priorities is extremely crucial. If you are a total daydreamer who wanders around fantasy and enjoys the art of doing nothing, here's a little advice:

GET BACK TO REALITY DUDE!!!



Get your pen, ruler and a paper ready. Draw a timetable which is flexible and precisely tailored according to your needs. Everything must be taken into account carefully: your time for homework, revision, tuition classes, games, etc. Your timetable is at its best if it is flexible. You don't want to neglect either your study or interests, do you?

Take note: Your timetable need not be heavily embellished or comes with a bling. It is meant to be personal and practical. The best things in life are often the most confusing; too much of effort put into beautifying your timetable can be rather distracting and is just a silly, purposeless waste of time. Mind you!

Otherwise, if you are a free-going person who does not fancy to stay put and organized with a timetable (that's me! I HATE being organized too much! I yearn for being foot-loose and fancy-free. Life at the countryside, maybe? Just joking.) get ready with a to-do-list every time before bed. You will have to have your pocket-sized notebook (I mean, the familiar 555 book) or your cellphone ready. For those who live for text-messaging, why not use your abilities in your "Calendar" as well? Plan the "to-do-list" for the next day and turn your alarm on. As for the earlier cheaper version, do flip open your notebook every morning before school, so that you will be reminded of the going-ons for the day.

Of course, these tips will not help if you dawdle-a LOT! Just in case if you had emergencies (in my case, phone calls and toilet-breaks), allow a delay of ONLY FIVE MINUTES! Otherwise, you will get indolent and will lack of the urge and willpower to complete your tasks for the day. (That's why my mom had always called me as "The Mad Girl" but hey, keeping notes certainly HELP a lot!)


Just an addition: I am a morning person. I do not believe in burning the midnight oil because my brain will only get messed up if I cram in tons of information into it at one time. Well, I actually found out about my type of person after much experiments and soul searching. (Guys and girls, DON'T EVER do that! That is risky for your assessment records!) Thus, when I was in From Five, I woke up at 4-5 am to study and finished up my homework, and by 10pm, I will be channeling as a drunkard. I would be so tired that I could even return to slumber with my T-shirt and jeans from tuition still on! (Naughty, naughty!)

In my case, I study best at the wee hours of the morning, and right after dinner. I would use that time for those mind-boggling subjects, such as History, Chemistry and Additional Mathematics. However, by noon, I would be as lazy as a sloth. (That's bad! Till today, I still could not understand this! I hope you will be still filled with energy in noon!)

Of course, it depends on you to determine your best time for studying. Some are morning people who simply cannot wait for sunrise and adore the calmness and chilly temperature during dawn. Some find studying best in the afternoon. Others are your familiar night owls who will chew their books till 3am and dilly-dally at the rest of the day. Whatever it is, try to understand yourself and listen to your heart. We are ALL unique in every single way!

In case if you are wondering, here is a summary of my typical school day:

4/5am: rise and shine, light exercise

5.20am: Study time! (For the most difficult subjects in my life!)

5.50 am: Get ready to school!

7.15am-2.30pm (12.35 pm on Fridays): Obviously time for school. I put in utmost effort to race against time to get my homework done, thus I can do more revision at home. Most of the learning process happens in school, too!

3pm: Lunchtime (Sometimes I had lunch in the car on the way home if I was rushing for tuition classes or stay-backs. Of course, that's bad for health...)

For the rest of the day, it was a whole list long of tuition classes and homework (if any). I allocated some time to complete my revision.

10pm-11pm: Call it a day.

Of course, my life is not all about studying and homework. How boring would that be! I took part in school activities, and go online every Friday. Television? Who can live without it? Nevertheless, I did not watch television everyday except for news; Sunday was my sole off-day for that long-awaited time for television! While most of peers were die-hard fans for Korean dramas and Bollywood movies, I favour variety and reality shows such as Ho-chak! (A Chinese show recommending yummies around the nation), Hot Chef and Guiness Night in China. I do not like dramas as they feature gory scenes at times. (Despite my substantial body build, I will squeal at a gun scene-even if it was a cartoon! I am as huge as a gorilla but as timid as a rabbit! )

This, has made it easier for me to control my hours in front of that idiot box, but had nevertheless annoyed my parents and sister as well!



Those time plannings which I had mentioned above were, indeed, specially created for Sharon Ng Huey Yuek by Sharon Ng Huey Yuek. Plus, they are just some guidelines for you peeps! (Please don't sue me if you got sick or something for this!)

It depends on YOU entirely on time management. It is your biological clock. It is your lifestyle. Play all you want but do not leave your books behind!


0 Little Whisper(s):

Post a Comment